4-H Poultry Judging Program 2023
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Poultry judging is for youth ages 8-18 as of January 1! If youth would like to participate, we would love for them to do and more information about the program is below along with links. Youth MUST register in 4-H Online in order to participate. The registration link will take you to the 4-H Online page where you can sign-up in 4-H Online or you can login and see the program under the “Events” tab in your account. Please let us know if you need any help or have trouble accessing it!
Dates for Poultry Judging Practices
- September 18, 2023 – Interest Meeting for Poultry Judging
- October 2, 2023 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- October 16, 2023 – Poultry Judging online practice
- November 6, 2023 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- November 20, 2023 – Poultry Judging online practice
- December 4, 2023 – /Poultry Judging in-person practice
- January 15, 2024 – Poultry Judging online practice
- January 20, 2024 – Poultry Judging Mock Competition
- February 5, 2024 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- February 19, 2024 – Poultry Judging online practice
- March 4, 2024 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- March 18, 2024 – Poultry Judging online practice
- April 8, 2024 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- April 22, 2024 – Poultry Judging online practice
- May 6, 2024 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- May 20, 2024 – Poultry Judging online practice
- June 3, 2024 – Poultry Judging in-person practice
- June 29, 2024 – Poultry Judging Mock Competition
- July 16-18, 2024 – Likely possible dates for State Competition
Poultry Judging Competition Information
The 2024 4-H Poultry Judging competition will be at NC State University. The exact date and time is yet to be determined. For information on attending the competition and participating as part of a team or as an individual from Craven County, see the contact information at the bottom of the page.
Poultry Judging Manual
The 4-H Poultry Judging manual is produced by the University of Kentucky and is available at the link below. We have put together a composite of the manual in one PDF Version and that is available for download below. There are a few extra notes on the composite than are on the original, but feel free to access either one.
Why Poultry Judging?
Students will learn . . .
- Poultry Judging promotes the study of unique agricultural fields
- To think critically
- To make decisions based on a rubric or set of ideal standards
- To decisively communicate their decisions to others
- About poultry life cycles
- Where their poultry produce comes from
- How to grade eggs inside and out
- How to judge production laying hens so that you can tell if a bird is going to be a good layer
- How to grade ready-to-cook birds
- The different cuts of meat for chickens
- How to prepare your meat safely in your home
- Participate at the State Poultry Competition at NC State University!
Poultry Judging gives students a look into one of the unique fields of agriculture. They gain insight and knowledge of what is involved in the poultry industry and how that affects them personally as they consume poultry products.
It gives students a look at how food is graded and what is safe and appropriate to eat along with being able to identify what they are eating and how to safely handle and cook their meat.
It also contributes to critical thinking and communication skills. Part of the program requires students to make decisions based on pre-determined criteria and to explain why they made the decisions they did to a judge. Students increase in skills and confidence in their speaking abilities and learn to make good decisions for specific reasons.