Useful Resources for Farmers During Covid-19 Pandemic
Many opportunities are available to assist farmers and even personal households of farmers. Here are just a few.
- Financial Aid COVID-19 N.C. Rapid Recovery Program – The Golden LEAF Foundation announced $15 million in funding to launch a rapid recovery loan program in response to economic losses related to the coronavirus (COVID-19). Funding will support loans to eligible businesses for up to $50,000 with zero interest and no payments for six months.
- The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act allocated $350 billion to help small businesses keep workers employed amid the pandemic and economic downturn. Known as the Paycheck Protection Program
- Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina (EDPNC) (Downloadable pdf) provides direct links and information to suppliers, lenders, federal programs, state agencies and more.
- RAFI-USA $550 Grants – RAFI-USA will be distributing emergency mini-grants of $500 to North Carolina farmers who are drastically impacted by market sales disruptions caused by COVID-19. The mini-grant funds may only be used to cover personal household expenses; they are NOT intended to support the farm operation.
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program – Facebook is offering $100M in cash grants and ad credits for up to 30,000 eligible small businesses in over 30 countries where they operate.
- NC State Extension’s COVID-19 Virus Webpage is complied of resources specifically for agriculture and agribusiness
- Craven County has established a page specifically for COVID-19 updates
- The US GAP Connections was designed for tobacco growers but this website has an excellent COVID-19 virus resource
Crop Production Updates & Resources
Below are some resource that will provide daily updates from N.C. Cooperative Extension and NC State University faculty. Remember, all of us are working from home so email and web post are an easy means to reach many people.
- NC State Extension Tobacco Web Portal – This site will provide TSWV risk and thrip migration updates, links to the TSWV prediction tool, greenhouse transplant progress, and other updates.
- NC State Extension Corn Production – This site will provide updates on corn problems, stress or progress.
- NC State Extension Small Grain Web Portal – This site will provide updates on the potential for Head Scab, disease updates, monitor cereal leaf progress and more. NC faculty provide updates almost daily during this critical production time for wheat.
- NC State Extension Soybean Web Portal – This site will provide updates on fertilization waste, video updates for foliar fertilization, planting hints and more.
- NC State Extension Industrial Hemp Web Portal – This site has recently provided insights regarding changes in legislation and what might occur given our current slow progress due to the COVIDi-19 Pandemic. Additional updates and resources are available.
- NC State Extension Peanut Web Portal – Recent post reviewed inoculant performance and in-furrow insecticide options, and the value of including Gramoxone in a weed control program.
- NC State Extension Strawberry Web Portal – This site provides updates to strawberries producers but also provides the public some information regarding safety should field harvest be available.
- N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services COVID-19 Page – A web page dedicated to COVID-19 updates at this pertains to agriculture.